Braces Friendly Foods Series | Power Chia Oatmeal Breakfast
Nothing beats a warm wholesome breakfast in the morning to start off the good day. It has been said many times that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I happen to agree with it. This Power breakfast is not only braces friendly, quick to prepare and cook it is also healthy.
- ½ cup Quick 1 Minute Quaker Oatmeal (or slightly less)
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Chia seeds
- ¾- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cold milk (fat free, skim or 2% milk). Alternative: Plain Soy milk
- Fresh blueberries or raisins (optional)
- Place Oatmeal in a microwave save bowl and mix with brown sugar and water.
- Cook in a high power microwave for 1:45 minutes (vary time depending on microwave power setting). Important note: If all the water has evaporated and the oatmeal is too dry, then add more water next time. You want the consistency like that of a clam chowder or slightly runnier.
- Pour chia seeds into hot oatmeal and stir in to partially cook.
- Pour cold milk into bowl and stir well. Again, you want to have the consistency of a clam chowder or slightly runnier.
- Top with optional blueberries or raisins and eat right away.
Discussion & Summary:
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes
Use Soy milk instead of regular milk to make this meal truly Vegan. I have recently been using Chia seeds and I love them. They’re tasty, filling and very nutritious. Oh, and they’re braces friendly too just as long as you brush your teeth after eating because these seeds are small and can get lodged between teeth and braces easily. You definitely don’t want to have Chia Pets growing in your mouth =)
Read more about the benefits of Chia seeds in my other blogpost here.
Please note that Chia seeds absorb water a lot, thus it is important to eat the oatmeal as soon as possible or it will get dry and jelly like, not appetizing at this point.
I like to use Corelle bowls to cook this dish. For some reason, it tends to cook better compared to other ceramic bowls.
This is a great meal for those who just had orthodontic braces and/or bite prop/ramp put on or orthodontic adjustment done as it doesn’t require much chewing.
PS: don’t forget to brush teeth and braces after eating.