Braces Friendly Foods Series | Brown Sugar & Garlic Baked Chicken
Try this new twist to the oven baked chicken.
3 lbs chicken breast filets (Cut in half if too thick)
½ – ¾ cup Brown Sugar (to taste)
Sprinkle of salt & pepper (to taste)
¼ sliced onions
6-8 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce)—Optional
½ cup of chicken stock—Optional
2-3 tablespoons of corn, canola or extra light olive oil
- Mix ½- ¾ cup of brown sugar, salt and pepper with ½ cup of water (or chicken stock for more flavor).
- Chop 2 cloves of garlic or mash them with a pestle and mortar and mix into marinade liquid.
- Stir in the sliced onions and agitate into mixture to get some of the onion juice into the mixture.
- Stir in 2-3 tablespoons of corn, canola or extra light olive oil.
- Put the chicken breasts into the liquid mixture in a large bowl and marinade at least 2 hours. Marinade in fridge if longer than 1-2 hours.
- After Marinating, place chicken breasts in casserole dish or baking pan that has been lightly oiled.
- Sprinkle some brown sugar on top if desired
- Sprinkle 4-6 chopped cloves of garlic on top
- Pour some of the marinade liquid into the baking dish (not too much).
10. Lightly spray the top surface with oil of choice with an atomizer. I use Misto which you can get at Costco or Bed Bath & Beyond.
11. Bake in an oven at 450 °F for 10-15 minutes (or until the internal temperature reaches 165 °F)
Discussion & Summary:
Pair this entrée with jasmine rice or scalloped potatoes. Enjoy!
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Marinade time: 2hrs to overnight
Cook time: 10-20 minutes
Please note that the softness or hardness of the cooked chicken breast depends on the temperature and time of cooking. Make sure that the chicken is not frozen even in the thickest part prior to cooking. Overcooking chicken breast is known to harden it, on the other hand, the internal temperature of the poultry needs to reach 165 °F to be safe. I recommend using a cooking thermometer if you’re not sure. Many ovens have a probe thermometer that lets you monitor the internal temperature of the meat while cooking. Please cook until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 °F as per the recommendation of the USDA, Food Safety and Inspection Services.
PS: Please cut up chicken into small bite sized pieces.
PSS: don’t forget to brush teeth and braces after eating.