Braces Friendly Foods Series | Chicken Tortilla Soup
A bowl of hot soup is always a winner during wintertime despite the weak winters here in Tucson Arizona. Regardless of the season, soups are great for people wearing braces and this Chicken Tortilla soup can be great tasting as well as packed with chicken proteins.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (corn, canola or extra light olive oil)
1 large zucchini
1 large tomato
1 small onion, chopped
2 quarts of chicken broth plus one cup of water
3-5 chicken drumsticks (or 3 medium chicken breasts)
Salt (to your taste)
1 tablespoon Chicken base (Better than Bouillon)—optional but highly recommended
~1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese (or whatever you prefer)
2 Ripe Avocados chopped into small pieces.
1-2 tablespoons sour cream
- Bring 2 quarts of Chicken Broth and water to a boil.
- Add Chicken breast, onion and salt to taste (I also like to add a tablespoon of Better than Bouillon chicken base to give it a rich taste).
- Simmer until chicken is cooked for about an hour.
- Chop the zucchini and tomato into small pieces, and in a separate pot, sauté with the vegetable oil until soft.
- Shred the chicken and place aside.
- Pour the chicken broth thru a strainer into the zucchini and tomato pot.
- Stir and add chicken.
- Simmer until zucchini is cooked thoroughly.
- Serve and add the tortilla chips, cheese, avocado and garnish with cilantro, top with sour cream if desired. Let the tortilla chips soak in soup for a few minutes to soften.
Discussion & Summary:
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 1-2 hours
Before you protest about me suggesting tortilla chips for people wearing braces, let me explain that the chips are meant to be soaked into the soup until soft and therefore braces friendly. This is a great idea for those people craving for chips but can’t or shouldn’t eat them. Soak the chips just enough time to provide a mini crunch but not enough to break brackets. For those who just had braces put on or orthodontic adjustment done, and your teeth are more tender than usual, you can forgo the tortilla chips or soak them in the soup longer such that it becomes extra soft.
I like to use chicken drumsticks for the protein because they tend to be soft and easy to shred. Chicken breast will work too if desired but may not be as soft as the drumstick meat.
PS: Please cut up and shred food into small bite sized pieces.
PSS: don’t forget to brush teeth and braces after eating.